Drink a milkshake and the pleasure centre in your brain gets a hit of happy unless you are overweight. It sounds counter intuitive. But US scientists who watched young women savor milkshakes inside a brain scanner concluded that when the brain doesn't sense enough gratification from food, people may overeat to compensate.
The first-of-a-kind study even could predict who would pile on pounds during the next year: Those who harbored a gene that made their brain's yum factor even more sluggish.
"The more blunted your response to the milkshake taste, the more likely you are to gain weight," said Dr. Eric Stice, a senior scientist at the Oregon Research Institute who led the work, published in Friday's edition of the journal Science.
A healthy diet and plenty of exercise are the main factors for being overweight. But scientists have long known that genetics also play a major role in obesity. Brain scanning showed that a key region called the dorsal striatum a dopamine-rich pleasure center became active when they tasted the milkshake, but not when they tasted the comparison liquid that just mimicked saliva.
The brain region was far less active in overweight people than in Iean peopIe, and in those who carry that A1 gene variant, the researchers reported.
Useful Links to Read:
01. Intensive Worship of Beauty
02. Shenaz Treasuryvala - An Impuslive Shopper
03. Money Making Survey Websites
04. How to take care of Dimonds and Semi Precious Jewellery
05. Dental Care : The best Ayurvedic Treatment
06. Eye Care : Get beautiful and attractive eyes
07. Aging Muscles : Changes In the Bone
08. ShopWiki - The Amazing Search Engine for Shoppers
09. How to do Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar)
10. Beauty Lies in the Eyes!
11. Eye Care : Exercise for your Eyes!
12. A House Built On Rock
13. A Sip of Coffee : To Coffee or Not!
14. How to make pure KAJAL
15. Hair Colours : Just Look Trendy and Attractive
16. Keep Table Manners While Washing Your Hands
17. Combo Exercise – Controls Hunger Feeling
18. Running to Stand Still
19. Breast Cancer – Just Bare It!
20. Breast Cancer : Visualize your breast as the face of a clock
21. Fear : An anxious feeling
22. Your Happy Feet : Aspect to get relaxed
23. Attention all women
24. Attention all women
25. Weight Loss Women and Men Need to Eat Fewer Calories
26. Women Lag Behind Men in Muscle Strength Recovery