Monday, October 30, 2023

Unforgettable Moments: The Power of Compassion in Everyday Life


Anushka and I found ourselves at a reception today. After a while, I left the hall and made my way to the exit gate, which was around two hundred meters away. The path was paved with blocks, leading uphill first and then downhill.

As I started climbing the hill, I noticed an elderly grandmother ahead of me. She was struggling, clutching a rock in one hand and leaning on a support stick with the other. It became clear that this climb was no easy task for her.

I didn't hesitate. I decided to lend a helping hand. I walked up to her and offered, "Give me a hand." She glanced at me, initially rejecting my offer with a curt "No." Her gaze returned to the daunting hill.

Undeterred, I extended my hand once more. After taking a deep breath, she reached out and accepted my help. We began our ascent, with Anushka following closely behind.

Curious about our encounter, the grandmother finally asked, "Who are you?" I replied, "I'm a doctor, and I also have Parkinson's."

Only when she placed her trembling hand in mine did she realize the connection. "Why is it that these days, no one steps forward to help? I didn't believe it when you offered, and then you insisted even when I declined," she said.

I simply responded, "Okay."

As we neared the exit gate, where my motorcycle was parked, I informed them, "Wait here; I've got my motorcycle." Anushka received a phone call and paused by the gate to answer it. In the meantime, I retrieved my bike and prepared to depart.

When we returned to the gate, we found two more women waiting there. It was heartwarming to see Anushka helping the grandmother order a rickshaw through Uber on her mobile phone.

It took a while, but eventually, the rickshaw arrived. As we were about to part ways, the grandmother held my hand once more and said, "You should hear a thank you from me, but I won't say no... Let's just leave it like that, don't say anything," her voice cracking. I gently patted her hand and offered a warm smile.

Anushka hopped on the back of my motorcycle, and we set off. Suddenly, she leaned forward and surprised me, resting her chin on my shoulder, her breath brushing against my ear.

I inquired, "What's happening all of a sudden?"

She playfully patted my cheek as if to say, "Nothing, really." I understood and couldn't help but smile.

The actions we take teach valuable lessons, and it's what we call "Sanskar."

Original Story: Amit Bidwe 

No comments: