Women are four times more likely than men to experience a broken forearm and require a cast or immobilization.
To examine whether the effects of such casting were similar between the sexes, researchers examined immobilized volunteers for a period of three weeks. They determined that while men were able to regain 99 per cent of their strength within a week of removing the cast, women's strength was still 30 per cent lower than their pre-cast optimum strength. These finding may have implications for the treatment of fractures based on gender lines. The study is believed to be the first report of sex-differences in muscle strength restoration following disuse, according to press release of American Psychological Society.
It was conducted by Brian C. Clark, Richard L. Hoffman, and David W. Russ of Ohio University, Athens and Todd M. Manini of the University of Florida, Gainesville. Clark suggested that hormones may contribute to slower recovery times in women. "This finding is preliminary and on a very small sample size. So, we must caution against over-interpreting our work."
These findings will appear in the Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
Useful Links to Read:
01. Intensive Worship of Beauty
02. Shenaz Treasuryvala - An Impuslive Shopper
03. Money Making Survey Websites
04. How to take care of Dimonds and Semi Precious Jewellery
05. Dental Care : The best Ayurvedic Treatment
06. Eye Care : Get beautiful and attractive eyes
07. Aging Muscles : Changes In the Bone
08. ShopWiki - The Amazing Search Engine for Shoppers
09. How to do Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar)
10. Beauty Lies in the Eyes!
11. Eye Care : Exercise for your Eyes!
12. A House Built On Rock
13. A Sip of Coffee : To Coffee or Not!
14. How to make pure KAJAL
15. Hair Colours : Just Look Trendy and Attractive
16. Keep Table Manners While Washing Your Hands
17. Combo Exercise – Controls Hunger Feeling
18. Running to Stand Still
19. Breast Cancer – Just Bare It!
20. Breast Cancer : Visualize your breast as the face of a clock
21. Fear : An anxious feeling
22. Your Happy Feet : Aspect to get relaxed
23. Attention all women
24. Attention all women
25. Weight Loss Women and Men Need to Eat Fewer Calories